Monday, October 15, 2012

Same Blog, Different Name...

For the past 4 years, I have been working on a 'novel' which has kind of become a running joke.  Because for one I never considered myself a writer and second I didn't know that I actually enjoyed writing until about 2007.

I wrote a little fan fiction for awhile and it was fun, but thought why not try an actual novel.  So at the end of 2008, I started it.

Well, its October 2012 and is that novel completed?  NOPE!

I could come up with lots of excuses why it's not done.  But here are a few 'legit' reasons.  The first being that I have way too many versions of it.  Can't complete a book when I keep changing my mind on the plot.  Second excuse, I'm easily distracted.  I always have good intentions on 'working' on the book but it doesn't always pan out the way I planned.  Third excuse, I'm not really a writer and think my writing is just not good.  Yes, I'm a perfectionist who is super hard on herself (excuse #765).

The last two reasons are why I haven't let anyone read any of it.

So this is where the 'Delusional Novelist' comes into play.  Because its really just me being sarcastic.  I'm NOT really delusional at all.  I'm a realist who knows getting a book published and have it be successful is a major long shot.

The running joke is that people that know me or who learn that I am writing a book will ask, "How is it coming?" or they say, "Can't wait to read it." To which I give my stock answer...don't hold your breath.  Again that's just me being sarcastic (which cannot be helped since I was genetically predisposed to it).

Anyway, I've decided to get serious about the 'novel' and see what I can do with it.  My grandmother, who is no longer with us, had some great sayings and one that fits perfectly right now is "shit or get off the pot" and that's exactly what I'm going to do.  For me to work this long and hard on a story and not put myself out there might be something I would forever regret.

Even if it fails, I can still say that I at least tried. And that's something.


- Heather
The Delusional Novelist








No comments:

Post a Comment